Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Many Faces of the Skytower

Throughout the past four months, I have been doing a little photo study of the Skytower, trying to capture it from different locations, in different types of weather, and at different times of the day. It is THE icon of Auckland, and as I am nearing the end of my time here (just one week left now), I thought this would be a good time to share some of these photos. I know that there are a bunch of photos here, but I took so many, that it was hard to narrow it down. Many of them were just taken right from my bedroom window (like these first 3). Believe it or not, these first 3 pictures were all taken today!

Here's the Skytower in the sun...
...and in the rain. I actually took this today during a sunshower. The weather was so weird today - it was POURING during the night and morning, then it cleared up and was sunny, then it got rainy again, then it started downpouring again, then the sun kind of came out....it was just very strange.
Again, today's weird weather:

Here's the Skytower during the day......and at night. This was while they still lit up the Skytower at night. Now, they've started this new thing where they don't light it up anymore, to conserve electricity. Nice green move, but it was so pretty! (It doesn't look like this at night anymore. Now, the only lights on are a couple of blinking red safety lights for planes.)
Before the energy conservation plan began, the Skytower would sometimes be lit up different colors for different occasions (like the Empire State Building). Here it is in yellow with a lovely crescent moon:
These two pictures were taken from Auckland Domain, one of Auckland's parks:I liked the palm trees!
Pretty much where ever you go in Auckland, you can catch a glimpse of the Skytower. From One Tree Hill...
From Ponsonby...
Down by the Viaduct...
And of course from the water. This was taken on our ferry ride to Waiheke Island:The Skytower never disappears from sight. Unless, of course, it really does disappear! (It has actually gotten this foggy several times.)

But in nicer weather, the tower just looks beautiful against a clear blue sky.
I'm really going to miss just being able to look out my window and see the Skytower in a new light every time. Whether it's at dusk...
...during a beautiful sunset,
... or night time,...I have really loved seeing the Skytower in a new way every day.
Auckland, I will miss you.

No comments: