Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lazy Sunday

Yesterday was a very enjoyable day for me and even though it was not super eventful, since it was so relaxing for me, I'm going to write about it for myself to remember! (Plus, maybe this will show that despite my posts, we're not doing something extreme or exciting every waking moment, but we still enjoy ourselves.)

So, yesterday morning, I actually slept in without setting an alarm. This was probably the first time I have done that in at least two months. After waking up well rested, I showered and got ready. I had told Nick and James the night before that I would make them french toast, so they came over so I could make good on my promise. I had a piece myself and they seemed to enjoy it, so I was happy about that. I wouldn't want to serve them anything that wasn't up to par!

Right after "breakfast" (a term I use very loosely because of the time), a group of us went grocery shopping at New World. Now, grocery shopping can be quite an ordeal here. There are really only 2 big supermarkets that are easily accessible: Foodtown, which is a good 20-30 minute walk (depending on who you walk with and how much stuff you are carrying!) and New World, which is a big farther away, but offers a free shuttle Thursday through Sunday. Because the New World shuttle picks us up right outside of Empire Apartments, I usually opt to go there.

However, the way the shuttle schedule works, you have either 30 minutes to shop (which is a pretty tight squeeze since the checkout lines are usually rather slow) or an hour and 30 minutes (which is too long and you have to hang around doing nothing while waiting for the shuttle). So lately, we've been playing our own "Supermarket Sweep" when we go shopping. Everyone has their lists ready and we run through the supermarket trying to get everything we need and get through the lines in time. We all meet back on the shuttle, and if you were too slow and missed it, you are out of luck and get left behind! (I once ran through the parking lot to catch the bus before it pulled out, only to find out that it was just turning around and not actually leaving for another few minutes. My friends who were already on the shuttle got a good laugh out of this!) Anyway, yesterday our group all made it back on the shuttle in time. James accidentally left one of his bags at the checkout and the driver even waited for him to run back inside and get it.

When we got back from the store, Lynn, Caitlin and I headed over to campus to try to watch a movie for our English class. Since it was a Sunday, however, the doors were locked and we couldn't get into the building without a special access key that we didn't have. So, we just walked back to Empire.

There is a cafe downstairs in the lobby that was open the first couple of days that we got here but has been closed ever since. It just reopened as a new place this week. So, Lynn, James, Kim, Caitlin and I decided to go there for dinner. The menu is a little on the pricey side for what they offer, but the food is pretty decent. However, I got what we have named "The Timm Special": a cheese pizza. Now, if you want to know why a plain pizza would have this name, it's because Timm worked his magic and got a cheese pizza to be entered into the computer system for only $5! The two pizzas that are actually listed on the menu have several toppings and go for $9.50. But Timm asked if there was a discount for just a plain pizza and bargained for $5. So far, they haven't upped the price and it's a great deal! So last night, 4 out of 5 of us ordered it! It's actually a very good pizza, in my opinion. It has a nice crispy thin crust and I really enjoyed it (even more so because it was so cheap)!

After dinner, we decided that we wanted dessert, but didn't really feel like anything on the menu. So, we made a spontaneous decision to go to another restaurant and just order dessert! We walked down to Queen St. and went up one of the side streets to a fancy-ish restaurant that James knew of. All 5 of us actually ordered the same thing: Mississippi Mud Cake. It was delicious!!! Warm chocolate cake with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, custard and kiwi slices - yum. Anyone aware of my love of chocolate knows that this sounds like the perfect dessert for me! We had a really nice time at dessert and were all very happy with our decision. We were stuffed by the end and only James was able to finish his. So we all gave the little bit we had left to Lynn, and it made a nice takeaway for her. (She actually told me that it heated up nicely as breakfast this morning!)

It was still early, so we decided to continue our evening together. We got changed into comfy clothes and then everyone plus Nick came back to my room to watch a movie. We watched "Equilibrium" (which I found very entertaining) followed by 2 episode of "The Office." I was getting very sleepy and went to bed pretty much right after everyone left.

So, this was kind of just a lazy day, but we had fun! It's definitely one of those ordinary days that I will remember. Even if we aren't off traveling or doing crazy things here, we still manage to have a great time. Since we don't have too many "big" things left planned, some of my future posts might be more of this style.

Love,
Lauren

No comments: