Monday, May 26, 2008

Auckland Zoo

As I think I mentioned, a couple of weekends back we went to the zoo. There's not TOO much to say about it - we basically went and spent the day looking at the animals! (Unusual for a zoo, right?)

But it was a fun day, and I definitely enjoyed Auckland's zoo. It was a lot larger than I thought it would be, but we pretty much spent the whole day there and got to see a lot. My favorite part was that most of the animals were not caged in as they would be at a zoo at home. They weren't running around the zoo or anything, but they were in mostly open spaces. It seemed like the zoo really tried to make the surroundings seem like the natural habitats of the animals. In most cases, the animals were just separated from the people in such a way that they couldn't get out, but we could still view them. (I'm not totally sure I'm making much sense here, but I'm just trying to say that they seemed less caged than other zoos I've seen!)

Anyway, here are some pictures from the day (Oh, and you might notice that these pictures are a bit larger. I'll make the pictures this size from now on!):


Gazelles relaxing: And the rhinos were in the same area as the gazelles, all roaming around together:
The giraffes were in the in the "Grasslands" section:
Here's a sea otter. They were really cute when they swam:
And a meercat...I think:
This big turtle thing is actually a Galapagos Tortoise:
We saw a whole orang-utan family! The baby was so cute! He climbed up onto a little wooden platform and then fell over and rolled down the hill.
This elephant has a lot of hair!

No comments: